calendar 17 October 2019

13 °C

RSS

Biuletyn Informacji Publicznej

Church in Skalmierzyce

The first written mention of the parish appeared in 1343. Skalmierzyce used to be then the village pastors of Gniezno. Originally there was a wooden church here. The new facility, also built from wood, was built probably in the early seventeenth century by the local parish priest Peter Tylicki. Several years later, to the churche was added  a brick, late Renaissance chapel of Our Lady of indoor dome. In 1791 the wooden nave was pulled down by changing the timber to a more permanent brick. At the same time on the south side there was added. A brick chapel of St. Joseph, by which received the churche the form of a cross. In 1873 there was a further development of the western part od churche and a tower. The most valuable relic of the temple is one of the most beautiful images of the Virgin Mary in Poland. The image is in the late Renaissance chapel with original furnishings. He was crowned on 4th  September 1966 by Fr. Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski. The cult of Mary in Skalmierzycach dates from the fifteenth century. Evidence obtained graces through image are numerous votive offerings. Particular attention should be paid to the silver medal in 1634, donated by King Władysław IV Vasa in thanks for victory over the Turks. Large monuments younger but no less interesting, are two stained glass windows placed in the presbytery in the beginign of  twentieth century, a leading representative of Young Polish - Włodzimierza Tetmajera. In the neoclassical main altar there is a painting of St. Catherine of Alexandria. On the east side, there is a tomb of heir of nearby Śliwnik, an officer of the November Uprising, Jana Nepomucego Niemojowskiego, who was buried with his wife Joanna.